NAME: Mavis Rivers
BIRTH DATE: May 19, 1929
PLACE OF BIRTH: Apia, Samoa
EDUCATION: Recipient of a scholarship to BYU in Provo, Utah.
KNOWN FOR: Jazz singer
VILLAGES IN SAMOA: Apia
SHORT BIO / CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
- 1949 – Mavis recorded her first 78 rpm record with TANZA label. Rivers went on to record over 40 songs as a soloist, in duets and as a guest singer with many popular bands of that era.
- Mavis later recorded with another iconic New Zealand record label in the music industry, Zodiac.
- Rivers also appeared on ‘The Steven Allen’ show and other television programmes.
- First Samoan Jazz singer in the world
- First Samoan and Pacific Islander to be signed to Frank Sinatra’s Reprise label
- First Samoan and Pacific Islander to record with iconic TANZA and Zodiac labels in New Zealand
- Performed in the Royal Variety show for Queen Elizabeth II
- Performed at the New Zealand International Festival of the Arts in Wellington, New Zealand
- Performed at the Jazz and Blues festival in Auckland, New Zealand
- Honored with the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 2013 New Zealand Pacific Music Awards
- Frank Sinatra is said to have described her as the ‘purest voice’ in jazz, comparing her to Ella Fitzgerald