NAME: Michael Meredith
PLACE OF BIRTH: Samoa
EDUCATION: Recipient of two scholarships: Auckland University of Technology and the Culinary Institute of America.
KNOWN FOR: A Master Chef and Owner of Merediths Restaraunt in Auckland, New Zealand.
VILLAGES IN SAMOA:
SHORT BIO / CAREER HIGHLIGHTS:
- Michael worked his way through the best of Auckland’s kitchens: Antoine’s, Vinnies, and then as the founding chef of ‘The Grove‘. In 2005, he won the Lewisham Award for Outstanding Chef while working at The Grove.
- 2012 – The Stamford Plaza Auckland was able to secure Meredith’s culinary expertise for Valentines Day, treating their guests to a truly memorable dining experience with the world-class experienced chef. The menu was inspired by a range of locally sourced products with Meredith’s usual element of surprise.
- 2012 – Michael participated the Pacific Food & Wine Festival. He presented a Master Class at the Festival Theatre before working with other celebrity chefs to create a ‘Taste of the Pacific’ Gala Dinner.
- 2012 – Meredith was part of the Cuisine Masterclass 2012 series (in association with Daniel Le Brun) along with three other New Zealand chefs. He showed guests how to recreate his unique creation of Cheese Ravioli with Panzanella salad.
- Meredith has taken part in a culinary exchange with other well known New Zealand chefs in hosting four of Germany;s rising cooking stars for four weeks throughout New Zealand in Auckland, Wellington and Queenstown organized by Deer Industry New Zealand (DINZ).
- 2011 – Michael teamed up with students from Owaraika District Primary to prepare dishes using produce from the school’s garden, as part of the opening for the school’s new Fale Samoa. Michael is an advocate for the ‘Garden to Table’ program which is to teach students the value of growing, harvesting, preparing and sharing garden grown food.
- 2011 – Cuisine NZ Restaurant of the Year Winner
- 2010 – Meredith helped celebrate Samoan culture and cuisine at the Auckland Museum by putting his culinary skills on display. He took traditional Samoan ingredients, some known and unknown to the crowd, and prepared a vegetarian version of ceviche, crispy plantain chips with an original coconut dip, and his version of steamed pork buns as an entree style dish.
- 2010 – Michael attended the 5th Annual International Chefs Congress (ICC), which is a three day culinary symposium, where more than 70 of the worlds most influential and innovative chefs, pastry chefs, mixologists, and sommeliers present the latest techniques and culinary concepts to their peers. At the event, Michael combined natural New Zealand cuisine with modern technology in his samples of Smoked Salmon and Abalone.
- 2009 – Metro Audio Restaurant Award of Supreme Winner
- 2007 – After a year of searching for the perfect space, Michael opened up ‘Merediths Restaurant’ in the Mt. Eden neighborhood outside of Auckland.