Monica Galetti (born in Samoa) is Senior Sous Chef at 2-star Michelin restaurant (highest is 3-star Michelin) Le Gavroche in London and is best known for co-presenting and judging BBC Two’s MasterChef: The Professionals, along with Gregg Wallace and Michel Roux Jr. The restaurant’s name comes from the character Gavroche in Victor Hugo’s – Les Misérables.
Galetti is married to David Galetti, who is the Head Sommelier at Le Gavroche in London. They also have one daughter together, Anais Emily.
Galetti trained as a chef in New Zealand. She moved across the world for the chance to work with Michel Roux Jr. at Le Gavroche.
Galetti started as a Commis Chef in early 1999, and since then she has worked her way up through the kitchen ranks to her current role as Sous Chef to Michel Roux Jr. She was the first woman to ever cook on Meat and Fish dishes in Le Gavroche, before setting up Le Gavroche des Tropiques in Mauritius.
In 2009, Michel Roux Jr. took on the judging role for MasterChef UK: The Professional’s – for its second series. Galetti assisted on the show where her job was to weed out contestants deemed not good enough to cook for her boss, Michel. Since appearing on the show, she has become something of a sensation. She’s fierce, but fair. That’s what makes her a favorite to her many fans.
Galetti is one of the best female Chefs in London and has worked for Michel Roux Jr. for the past 12 years. Other notable Chefs who have worked in the kitchen of Le Gavroche include: Marco Pierre White, Gordon Ramsay, Marcus Wareing, Bryn Williams, and Michael Smith. The restaurant offers classical French food, although some dishes come with something of a modern twist.
She released her first cookbook, Monica’s Kitchen, in late 2012. Galetti shows how to serve up great-tasting, everyday food at home easily. She presents her favourite recipes in chapters that reflect the different ways we like to cook – i.e. quick and easy ideas for midweek meals, time-saving recipes to ensure leisurely weekends, impressive but achievable ideas for entertaining and, for something completely different, a selection of very unusual and personal recipes which reflect her upbringing in Samoa and New Zealand.
Highlights & Awards:
- First female at Le Gavroche to prepare Meat & Fish dishes (which is a role held by male chef’s at the 2-star Michelin restaurant since it’s opening)
- 2009 Judge in MasterChef UK : The Professional’s with Michel Roux Jr. and Gregg Wallace – 2nd series
- 2010 Judge in MasterChef UK : The Professional’s with Michel Roux Jr. and Gregg Wallace – 3rd series
- 2011 Judge in MasterChef UK : The Professional’s with Michel Roux Jr. and Gregg Wallace – 4th series
- 2011 Judge for Comic Relief Does MasterChef UK (with MasterChef UK host Gregg Wallace & Prime Minister David Cameron) for Red Nose Day
- First Samoan woman to judge a MasterChef Cooking show of that magnitude in the World
- First Samoan Senior Sous Chef at a 2-star Michelin Restaurant in the World